• Spanish teacher Shelly Loraine Fidler (who will later become Shelly Kearns) gives birth to a Christina Maria Aguilera in New York on December 18.
• Members of the Monster Munch fanclub find out the very in vogue Red Monster of Flamin’ Hot fame’s favourite snack is ‘curry jelly’.
• Made first televison appearance on TV’s Star Search
• It is found that Christina can sing quite well so she is taken to Star Search to belt out Etta James’s ‘A Sunday Kind Of Love’. A lot of people like it. A lot don’t and taunt Christina so she, her newly divorced Mum and sister Rachel move. It is traumatic and will be remembered for inspiration in later years.
• At 10 she sang the national anthem for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pirates
• Spent a year on The New Mickey Mouse Club, which was a bit like Mini Pops, which was a bit like Stars In Their Eyes Kids – only there wasn’t a prize at the end, and now everyone thinks it was a bit dirty and wrong to make children dress like grownups and sing sexually suggestive songs. None of these things happened at the Mickey Mouse Club. But they did all have to wear ears.
• Toured Japan promoting her collaboration with Japanese singer, Keizo Nakanishi on “All I Wanna Do”
• Got a record contract with RCA after singing ‘Reflection’ for the Disney film ‘Mulan’. ‘Mulan’ is the one about a girl in the olden days who pretends she has a winky so she can join the army. Girls should remember that they don’t need to do this nowadays, that it was only a film and you shouldn’t believe everything Disney says.
• Hit the Top 40 for the first time with “Genie In A Bottle.”
• Genie In A Bottle” topped the Billboard Hot 100 for 5 weeks and the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Sales chart for 4 weeks.
• “Genie In A Bottle” was certified platinum.
• “Christina Aguilera” was released. Christina’s album sold over 250,000 copies in its first week and debuted at #1 on the album charts (besting the new album by Puff Daddy).
• “Genie In A Bottle” topped the Billboard Top 40 Tracks chart for 5 weeks.
• “Christina Aguilera” was certified double platinum (and topped the Billboard 200 Albums chart for a week).
• “Genie In A Bottle” topped the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Airplay chart for 3 weeks.
• “Genie In A Bottle” topped the UK Singles chart for 2 weeks.
• “What A Girl Wants” hit the Top 40.
• “Christina Aguilera” was certified 3x platinum.
• “Christina Aguilera” was certified 4x platinum.
• “Genie In The Bottle”about being touched up, is liked by people in the UK, US, Austria, Belgian, Canada, Germany, Italy and Norway, who all make it number one in their charts.
• “Christina Aguilera” sold over 13 million copies worldwide.
• “Christina Aguilera” got muliplatinum, which featured the hit singles “Genie in a Bottle” and “What A Girl Wants”
• “Christina Aguilera” was certified 5x platinum.
• “What A Girl Wants” hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 2 weeks.
• Appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone
• Released the muliplatinum spanish•language album Mi Reflego, which featured five Spanish versions of previously released material from her debut album and five original songs
• Appeared on Saturday Night Live, VH1’s Men Strike Back, and hit the Top 40 with “I Turn To You.”
• Bested fellow teen sensation, Britney Spears, by taking home the Best New Artist Award at the Grammy Awards (and saying on stage: “Oh my God, you guys. I seriously do not have a speech prepared whatsoever. I’m shaking right now.” She was also nominated for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (“Genie In A Bottle”). Backstage, Christina said “I wasn’t expecting it at all, just like I wasn’t expecting the nomination.” Christina said at the Grammys: “I really want to try to take pop a little deeper than it is right now. I want to show people other areas of myself that they may not be familiar with. I really want to be seen as a vocalist.”
• Nominated for Kids’ Choice Awards for Favorite Female Singer and Favorite New Artist.
• “What A Girl Wants” was certified gold
• “Christina Aguilera” was certified 6x platinum.
• Awarded Favorite New Artist, Female and Favorite Single (“Genie In A Bottle”) at the Blockbuster Awards.
• Toured North America as a headliner with Destiny’s Child as her opening act for some of the performances.
• Had to cancel a performance in Monaco and a promotional trip to the U.K. due to a throat infection.
• Won Best New Female Artist at World Music Awards.
• Released an enhanced CD of the single “I Turn To You” which includes the song’s video and a Spanish version (“Por Siempre TÃº”).
• Iit the Top 40 with “Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You).”
• Nominated for a Latin Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (“Genio Atrapado”).
• Christina’s mom and her manager were being sued for $7 million by her former manager for breach of contract.
• Nominated for a MuchMusic Video Music Award for Favorite International Artist (“Genie In A Bottle”).
• “Christina Aguilera” was certified 7x platinum.
• Videos by Christina were nominated for 5 MTV Video Music Awards including Best Female Video, Best New Artist, Best Pop Video, Best Choreography (Tina Landon), and Viewer’s Choice (“What A Girl Wants”).
• Performed at the MTV Video Music Awards but cancelled concert appearances the next night in Boston and 3 days later in Virginia due to a sore throat.
• Christina released her Spanish•language album, Mi Reflejo. The album features 5 Spanish versions of previously released material from her debut album and 5 original tracks. Christina was nominated for a Billboard Music Video Award for Best Latin New Artist Clip of the Year (“Ven Conmigo”).
• Mi Reflejo topped the Billboard Latin 50 Albums chart for 19 weeks.
• Hit #1 with “Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You)” on the Billboard Hot 100 for 4 weeks.
• Toured South America, Mexico, and Puerto Rico in the fall.
• Released a holiday album, My Kind Of Christmas.
• Topped the Billboard Latin Tracks chart with “Ven Conmigo (Solamente TÃº)” for 2 weeks.
• Won a Billboard Music Video Award for Best Latin New Artist of the Year (“Ven Conmigo (Solamente TÃº)”).
• “Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You)” was certified gold.
• “Christina Aguilera” was certified 8x platinum and My Kind Of Christmas was certified platinum.
• Christina topped Billboard Year•End Charts as Top Pop Artist • Female and Top Latin Pop Album (Mi Reflejo).
• Joined forces with other Latin artists for a fund•raising single El Ultimo Adios • The Last Goodbye, for the victims and families of the terrorist attack; also collaborated on the All•Star single “What’s Going On,” with proceeds going to AIDS and 9/11 charities
• Collaborated with Lil’ Kim, Mya and Pink for the remake of “Lady Marmalade” for the film “Moulin Rouge”
• Performed at the closing ceremonies for the Winter Olympic Games
• (2001) Released album Just Be Free; a collection of demo tracks recorded when she was 14 and 15
• Christina was nominated for an American Music Award for Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist.
• Christina teamed up with Ricky Martin to re•record his song “Nobody Wants To Be Lonely” and hit the Top 40.
• Christina was nominated for 2 Grammy Awards including Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (“What A Girl Wants”) and Best Latin Pop Album (Mi Reflejo).
• Christina topped the MTV Video Countdown with “Nobody Wants To Be Lonely” for a week.
• It was reported that Christina would be teaming up with Coca•Cola.
• Christina won 2 Blockbuster Entertainment Awards for Favorite Female Artist and Favorite Artist • Latino, and was also nominated for Favorite Female Artist • Pop.
• Christina hit the Top 40 (with Lil’ Kim, Mya & Pink) with the remake of “Lady Marmalade” from the film Moulin Rouge.
• Christina was nominated for a Kids’ Choice Award for Favorite Female Singer. Aguilera won 2 Billboard Latin Music Awards for Pop Album, New Artist and Pop Album, Female (Mi Reflejo).
• “Lady Marmalade” topped the Billboard Top 40 Tracks chart for 9 weeks.
• Christina also filed a lawsuit to stop the release of earlier material she recorded when she was 14 (the suit was later settled out of court).
• Christina topped the Billboard Hot 100 for 5 weeks and the Hot 100 Airplay chart for 6 weeks with “Lady Marmalade.” The track also topped the UK charts by month’s end.
• “Lady Marmalade” topped the MTV Video Countdown for 3 weeks.
• Christina topped the Billboard Top Music Videos chart with My Reflection for a week.
• Christina topped the UK singles chart for a week with “Lady Marmalade.”
• Christina received 2 Latin Grammy Award nominations for Record of the Year (“Pero Me Acuerdo De TÃ”) and Female Pop Vocal Album (Mi Reflejo).
• Christina’s early recordings from 1995 were released with the album Just Be Free • a collection of demo tracks recorded when Christina was 14 and 15.
• Aguilera won a Teen Choice Award for Choice Song of the Summer (“Lady Marmalade”).
• Christina’s collaborative video for “Lady Marmalade” won 2 MTV Video Music Awards including Video of the Year and Best Video from a Film, and was also nominated for Best Dance Video, Best Pop Video, Best Choreography (Tina Landon), and Best Art Direction (Bernadette Dus).
• Mi Reflejo was certified gold.
• Christina was to co•host the Latin Grammy Awards with Jimmy Smits • the ceremony was cancelled due to the terrorist attack on September 11th.
• Christina could be heard on the All Star Tribute benefit single “What’s Going On” (with proceeds going to AIDS and 9/11 charities).
• Christina joined forces with other Latin artists for a fund•raising single for the victims and families of the terrorist attack with the recording of “El Ultimo Adios (The Last Goodbye).”
• Christina won a Latin Grammy Award for Female Pop Vocal Album (Mi Reflejo).
• Christina was nominated for a MTV Europe Music Award for Best Song (“Lady Marmalade”).
• Christina (along with Lil’ Kim, Mya & Pink) topped The ARC Weekly Top 40 Year•End Top 100 for 2001 with “Lady Marmalade.”
• Christina won 2 My VH1 Awards for Favorite Video and Is It Hot In Here Or Is It Just My Video for “Lady Marmalade.”
• Brainwave! Christina realises that her name can be shortened to ‘Xtina’ and gets it tattooed on her back so she doesn’t forget.
• Noticing how wearing leather bolstered The Fonz’s appeal in ‘Happy Days’, Christina starts wearing leather chaps for the video of ‘Dirrty’ from fourth album ‘Stripped’. Heeeeey.
• Xtina remembers she has a loyal fanbase of impressionable young people with low self•esteem and so brings out her number one single ‘Beautiful’. Mel C fans will also buy this.
• Appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone wearing nothing but a guitar and black boots
• Released next muliplatinum album Stripped, included the singles “Beautiful” and “Dirrty”
• Christina previewed a new song, “Infatuation,” at the closing ceremonies for the Winter Olympic Games.
• Christina won another Grammy Award • for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals for “Lady Marmalade” with Lil’ Kim, Mya & Pink which they performed at the ceremony with special guest Patti LaBelle. Christina was also nominated in that same category for “Nobody Wants To Be Lonely” with Ricky Martin.
• Christina hit the Top 40 with “Dirrty.”
• Christina ranked #62 on VH1’s 100 Sexiest Artists.
• Christina released Stripped on October 29. She said of the album to Rolling Stone: “This record is definitely my baby. Being 21 now, I’ve grown into more of what I feel like as a woman… I wanted to make a record that was about me completely. Nothing superficial, no hype, no gloss.”
• Stripped debuted at #2 on the album charts, selling over 330,000 copies in its first week.
• Christina graced the cover of Rolling Stone wearing nothing but a guitar and black boots.
• Christina hit the Top 40 with “Beautiful.”
• Christina topped the UK singles chart for 2 weeks with “Dirrty.”
• Christina hit the Top 10 with “Beautiful” on the Billboard Hot 100.
• Madonna and Britney kiss Christina for a performance of ‘Like A Virgin’ at the MTV Video Music Awards. Madonna’s children will block this out until many moons later on a psychoanalyst’s coach.
• Signed a deal with Skecher Shoes to be featured in their ads
• Became the new face of the Versace line; Donatella claims that the new line was inspired by Christina’s over•the•top stage performances
• Began touring with Justin Timberlake; the two also appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone together
• Christina performed at the American Music Awards.
• It was announced that Christina will tour with Justin Timberlake in the summer.
• “Beautiful” reached #2 on the Billboard Hot 100.
• Christina was nominated for a Grammy for Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals (“Dirrty” featuring Redman).
• Christina was signed as the new face of Versace.
• Christina topped the UK singles chart for 2 weeks and the Canadian singles chart with “Beautiful.”
• Christina performed on Saturday Night Live.
• Christina hit the Top 40 with “Fighter.”
• Christina dyed her hair from blonde to black.
• Christina topped the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart with “Beautiful,” and the Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart with the remixes.
• Christina was honored and performed at the GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) Media Awards for her video “Beautiful.”
• “Fighter” hit the Top 20.
• Christina began touring with Justin Timberlake with the highly anticipated ‘Justified and Stripped Tour.’ The two also appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone together.
• Christina hit the Top 40 with “Can’t Hold Us Down,” featuring Lil’ Kim.
• Stripped was certified 3x platinum.
• Christina’s tour with Justin Timberlake had to postpone dates after an accident with stage equipment in New Jersey.
• “Can’t Hold Us Down” hit the Top 20.
• Christina’s “Dirrty” video was nominated for four MTV Video Music Awards for Best Female Video, Best Dance Video, Best Pop Video, and Best Choreography (Jerri Slaughter). Christina performed the opening at the show along with Britney Spears and Madonna with a rousing rendition of “Like A Virgin.” Later in the show Christina performed a medley of “Dirrty/Fighter” with Redman and Dave Navarro.
• Christina signed a deal to appear in international Skecher shoe ads.
• Christina began her own headlining European tour lasting into December.
• Christina was nominated for an American Music Award for Michael Jackson International Artist of the Year.
• Christina hit the Top 40 with “The Voice Within.”
• Christina hosted the MTV Europe Music Awards and won for Best Female.
• Christina was forced to cancel her final two UK tour dates due to illness.
• Readers of Rolling Stone named Christina as Best Female Performer and Best Tour.
• Christina topped the Billboard Year•End Charts as the Top Pop Artist • Female (Singles & Albums).
• Christina won the Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (“Beautiful”), and was nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album (Stripped), Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals (“Can’t Hold Us Down” with Lil’ Kim), Song of the Year (“Beautiful,” Linda Perry), and Best Remixed Recording (“Beautiful [Peter Rauhofer Mix],” Peter Rauhofer).
• Christina hosted Saturday Night Live. She was praised for her impersonation of Kim Cattrall’s Sex and the City character Samantha.
• Christina was forced to cancel her upcoming U.S. summer tour and rest her voice for six weeks due to vocal strain.
• The video for “The Voice Within” was nominated for 3 MTV Video Music Awards including Best Female Video, Viewer’s Choice, and Best Cinematography. Christina performed “Tilt Ya Head Back” with Nelly at the ceremony held in Miami.
• Christina hit the Top 40 with her remake of “Car Wash” featuring Missy Elliott. The track is from the soundtrack for Shark Tale.
• Christina hit the Top 40 with Nelly on “Tilt Ya Head Back” from his album Sweat.
• Stripped was certified 4x platinum.
• It was announced that Christina was engaged.
• The leather chaps go into storage.
• Released third studio album Back to Basics, which included elements of soul, jazz and blues music; earned 2 Grammy nominations, including Best Pop Vocal Album
• Blabbermouth Paris Hilton says that Christina is pregnant. The world believes this.
• Earned two Grammy nominations, including one for her collaborations with Tony Bennett for the song “Steppin’ Out”
• Paris Hilton was correct!
• Christina was pregnant and gives birth to Max Liron Bratman on January 12. Hooray!